School life

The extent to which arthritis affects everyday life at school will vary from child to child and from day to day. Building up a good relationship with the school and childs teacher is key. Communication between parents, teachers and the child is very important.

This is probably the first time the teacher will have come across a child with arthritis so give them as much information as possible about the condition. Useful links below. The first step is to arrange an initial meeting between parents and staff to talk about the diagnosis and information about how the condition affects the child daily. Then at the beginning of each new school year ask for a meeting with the child’s new teacher. Information should be passed on but don’t presume that it will.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

In September 2014 a new duty came into force in schools to support pupils with medical conditions. – Children and Families Act 2014 – which applies to England only.

Children and young people with medical conditions are entitled to a full education and have the same rights of admission to school as other children. The governing body must ensure that arrangements are in place to ensure that such children can access and enjoy the same opportunities at school as any other child.

Dept of Education Document: Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions  


SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator)

Every school and Pre-School/Nursery provision will have a staff member allocated as a SENCO who is responsible for coordinating the child’s support programme. At the initial meeting with school ask if the SENCO can be present at the meeting with the class teacher.

As a result of the initial meeting with school a medical or care plan should be put together which would then be reviewed regularly with parents, teaching staff and the child themselves. This would detail information about the child’s condition and include medication they are on and medical professionals they are under. Schools will offer different levels of support based on the specific needs of a child. It may be informal monitoring of the child’s progress by the class teacher or it may include more formal support eg: visits from an Occupational Therapist to advise and support school staff. This is now known as special educational needs support from school SENCO.

If all strategies put in place are not successfully supporting the child’s educational progress then schools would work with outside agencies to put together a specific Education, Health and Care Plan (previously known as a Statement), a legal document which outlines a child’s needs and how these needs might be met.

Children with special educational needs 


Day to day support

  • Give the school information about child’s condition
  • Pass on the list of useful links for school to access further information
  • Talk through a checklist of how JIA will affect your child on a daily basis
  • Put an Individual Healthcare Plan in place  
  • Discuss any other Issues: eg: Attendance, Bullying, Mental Health issues – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Make sure that school knows when the child is attending medical appointments and what they are for. Parents or the child should make sure the teacher is aware that on some days the child will feel more tired, stiff or unwell than usual and the school day may need to be adjusted accordingly. Staff need to be aware about the child’s access to PE lessons or be aware that they may struggle with handwriting.

Talking to their teacher and friends about arthritis can help them to understand why some days are fine and others are difficult. Absences from school can mean that the JIA child misses out on the social side of school, therefore its important for them to have special friends who understand and keep in touch with them out of school too.

Useful links




CCAA Committee member Jazmin shares her story with NRAS   

Other help and advice

CCAA website

Scottish Network for Arthritis in Children   

Irish Childrens Arthritis Network

Information, Advice and Support Service:

IAS Services (previously National Parent Partnership Network)  

Contact a Family

Education Advisors Freephone Helpline 0808 808 3555

Independent Parental Special Education Advice

IPSEA advice line: 0800 018 4016 or